Message sent over email by a Fellow Traveler:
I was going through this blog about Koh Kood, can you guide me how to reach Koh Kood from Bangkok airport?
My flight will land on 6:10am in morning how can I make it to Koh Kood on same day? are there any buses leaving from airport to the nearest area where Koh Kood ferry leaves?
Thank you for reaching out to us. It's great to hear that you are planning to travel to Koh Kood - we are sure you will love it.
In a previous blog we have laid out how you can travel from Bangkok to Koh Kood, which touches upon all the options available to make the journey. Here we will try and curate a plan that is tailored for your needs.
You did provide us the time you land in Bangkok, but you have not given us:
- which season are you planning to visit - High (mid-Oct to mid-May) or Low (mid-May to mid-Oct)?
- which airport will you be landing - DMK or BKK?
To give you the best answer we would have needed those, but we will try and cover all these scenarios in our answer.
As we wanted our trip to be a little more adventurous, fly in an ATR-72, experience Bangkok Airways service and spend a night in Trat we took the morning speedboat from Laem Sok pier, but you can actually take a ferry directly to Koh Kood from Bangkok or book a bus-ferry ticket that takes you from Bangkok to Laem Sok pier from where you can take the connecting ferry to Koh kood. There are two major companies you can look at for such services.
Ko Kut Express:
- Ferry from Bangkok to Koh Kood: Leaves at 6:00 am (Fare: THB 850) only during the high season - while this is an amazing service, it will not work for you as you will be landing at 6:10 am only
- Bus-ferry Ticket from Bangkok: Leaves at 6:00 am (Fare: THB 850) only during the high season - this is a service that you could have also considered, but the timing will not suit you
- Ferry from Bangkok to Koh Kood: no such service available
- Bus-ferry Ticket from Bangkok: Two options are available
- Leaves at 5:00 am (Fare: THB 900) only during the high season - the time definitely wouldn't suit you
- Leaves at 7:30 am (Fare: THB 900) both during the high season and low season - you should aim for this service as it suits your time the best
So, it is the 7:30 am Bus-Ferry service from Boonsiri that you should be taking according to us. But, to actually do that there are some prerequisites that you should take note of:
- The bus of Boonsiri leaves from Khaosan Road in Bangkok, which is about 45mins away from both DMK and BKK. So, you should keep that in mind and plan to leave the airport accordingly.
- Ensure you get your visa before traveling and do NOT depend on the via on arrival service as that itself might take you an hour to clear. With multiple international flights landing in the Bangkok airports between 6:00 am to 7:00 am, and majority of the passengers coming in depending on visa on arrival, a delay is a regular scene. Getting a visa before you travel will hasten the process many folds and you will be able to complete all formalities within 15 minutes of landing
- If possible, do NOT check in your luggage. Both the Bangkok airports are known for huge delays in having the luggage delivered on the belts. During all our travel through both DMK and BKK, not once did we have our checked-in luggage delivered before 30 minutes of wait
After all of these considerations, if you feel that you will not be able to make the 7:30 am bus-ferry service from Boonsiri, the other alternative is to take an 8:00 am/8:3 0am express bus to Trat from Ekkamai Terminal or Morchit Terminal. The fares ranges around THB 200-300.
Once in Trat, you can take a cab to the Laem Sok pier or connect with the boat company for a free pickup. You can either take the 2:20 pm ferry from Boonsiri (THB 500) or the 3:00 pm speedboat from Ko Kut Express (THB 600). Both of these are only available during the high season.
If you don't want to get bogged down with all the rush about taking the express bus service or will be traveling in the low season, needing to take either the 1:30 pm ferry from Boonsiri (THB 500) or 1:00 pm ferry from Ko Kut Express (THB 500), you should plan to fly from Bangkok to Trat on the 8:20 am or the 11:40 am Bangkok Airways flights depending on the airport you are flying into.
Hope we have been able to give you some insights into how you can travel from Bangkok to Koh Kood. If you still have any further questions, you can leave them in the comment and we would try answer them.
If you need any help with the above reservations, don't hesitate to get in touch with us. We will try our best to help you out with those or connect you to our friends in Thailand who, we are sure, would tend to all our necessities.
If you are interested in acquiring the rights to use any of the photographs that you see on this website, please visit our Shutterstock portfolio by clicking here.
2 thoughts on “Message From A Fellow Traveler: Reaching Koh Kood From Bangkok”
Thank you for any other magnificent post.
Where else could anyone get that kind oof information in such an ideal means of writing?
I’ve a presentationn subsequent week, and I’m on the look for
Fine way of telling, andd nice piece of writing to obtain data concerning my presentation subject matter, which i am going
to deliver in college.